The Actuary will be a strong contributor and leader within a high performing group. The focus of this position is on production and analysis of RGA's global asset intensive reinsurance and direct business. Communication with key executives at RGA along with maintaining excellent relationships with the Legal Entity, Corporate, Finance, and GFS Pricing & Risk Management teams are components of the role.
The role also contributes to the enhancement of the financial models and infrastructure by developing and maintaining actuarial assumptions, methods, models, and processes used within the valuation team. It is expected that the successful candidate provides general valuation, financial analysis, and project assistance as needed.
The Non-Traditional Valuation team supports RGA's Global Financial Solutions (GFS) business segment. The focus of the team is on building and maintaining the Valuation model, performing financial reporting and analysis, and assumption setting for the GFS business.
- Performs US GAAP, US Statutory and US Tax valuation for life and annuity reinsurance and direct business
- Collaborate with Pricing and Corporate Partners on new transactions
- Drive policy decisions, including negotiating with and influencing stakeholders
- Develops, maintains, and/or reviews actuarial models in Prophet and other applications, including setting up and maintaining appropriate assumptions
- Develops actuarial models
- Identifies, implements, and enhances governance and control infrastructure
- Develops experience studies and makes recommendations on updating actuarial assumptions
- Maintains and enhances documentation
- Develops projections for financial planning and analysis and investigates major drivers of variance
- Provides oversight and direction to junior actuarial/financial associates in the department. May perform supervisory duties including, but not limited to, hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and disciplining direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates and gives guidance on associate development.
- Serves as a liaison with other lines of business and company functions/departments to promote improvement in valuation and financial analysis for assigned business
- Performs valuation work and ad-hoc department projects as needed and called upon
- Remains current in profession and industry trends
Education and Experience
- FSA accreditation or equivalent
- 7+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance/reinsurance
- PC and technical skills, including database applications (Access, Oracle, SQL, or equivalent), spreadsheets, statistical programs, and actuarial software (AXIS, Prophet, or equivalent)
- Advanced understanding of local reporting and regulatory environments
- Advanced understanding of insurance financial metrics and analysis techniques
- MAAA accreditation
- Management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Computer Science, or related field
- Prophet modeling experience in ALS, US 360, US NA, GAAP, and/or cohort libraries
- Working knowledge of Principles Based Reporting, Risk Based Capital, or Valuation Manual
- Prior experience on PBR reporting, model design, policy, or related activities
- Prior experience on VM-20, AG-30, AG-38, AG-48, or similar US STAT life valuation guidelines
- Prior experience on VM-21, VM-22, AG-33, AG-35, AG-43, or similar US STAT annuity valuation guidelines
- Prior experience on VM-30, VM-31, CFT, AAT, RBC, C3 Phase 1, C3 Phase 2, or similar US STAT guidelines
- Familiarity with GAAP, Statutory, and Tax valuation and financial reporting
- Familiarity with traditional life insurance products, such as Whole Life, Term, Universal Life
- Familiarity with deferred and/or immediate annuities, including indexed or variable annuities
- Familiarity with fixed income investments, asset modeling techniques, and capital markets
- Familiarity with pension and other longevity products
- Product development, stochastic modeling, and/or asset liability management experience
- Reinsurance industry, structuring, or merger and acquisition experience
- Advanced communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received by all stakeholders, including customers and associates
- Advanced interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to work effectively with different disciplines, including pricing, investments, accounting, systems, and administration
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Ability to work independently and to work well within a team environment and participate in department projects
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
The general pay range for this position is $129,200 to $197,515 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA provides an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and some positions are eligible for participation in our long-term equity incentive plan. RGA also maintains a full range of health, retirement and other employee benefits.