RGA's culture stresses high performance and collaboration, and the company hires the smartest people in the industry. And the smart people they hire are not just number crunchers. RGA values creativity and curiosity. RGA also values humility, and its employees work together without ego to bring value to RGA while revolutionizing the life and health insurance space.
The Actuary, US and Latin America Risk and Inforce Management ("USLA RIM") will perform and/or support assigned risk and actuarial work. Such work might include semi-annual Financial Risk reviews, Peer and Tech reviews of new deals or inforce updates, model and assumption governance, ORSA-like analysis and/or deep dives into targeted areas. This is a highly visible and impactful role for a motivated individual. Familiarity with applicable American Academy of Actuaries Actuarial Standards of Practice is preferred, or equivalent experience to learn and apply them.
- Establish key role in the Financial Risk area of RIM by lending deep thought around analysis related to Financial Risk metrics, investment portfolio optimization, new deal tech and peer reviews, and risk review completion under established timeframes.
- Conducts risk and/or control assessments, inforce reviews, and deep dives. Assists RIM leadership with critical risk analysis and/or supports audits as a SME where sufficient independence allows.
- Summarize and communicate findings, results, and contextual information with clear and impactful messaging appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Maintain appropriate documentation around risk mandates and processes.
- Coordinate the activities of others in the team and/or other departments to ensure appropriate analyses, key deliverables, and related, necessary actions are completed in a timely manner, as determined by project and business needs.
- Support other risk management activities across the US & Latin America Traditional business unit and/or Global Risk Services as directed by RIM leadership. Collaborate with cross-functional risk managers and actuaries to advance department influence.
- Recommend and assist with implementation of solutions for managing the USLA risk profile.
- Assists with large/unusual transaction review.
- Support Second Line of Defense initiatives by providing critical thinking, analysis, recommendations and commentary on emerging risk scenarios.
- Foster positive relationships, collaborate, and communicate professionally with key stakeholders and business partners, including senior executives.
- Participate in special projects, committees, meetings, and presentations with internal or external audiences as needed.
- May provide oversight and direction to junior associates in the department. If assigned, supervisory duties would include, but not be limited to, hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and disciplining direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates, if assigned, and gives guidance on associate development.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Economics, Statistics or related field
- FSA accreditation or equivalent
- 7+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance/reinsurance
- MAAA accreditation
- 10+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance/reinsurance
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Finance track or ERM emphasis in background
- Prior risk management experience helpful
- Prior ERM/ORSA/ALM experience
Skills and Abilities
- Highly advanced knowledge of life reinsurance products pricing and/or valuation
- Highly advanced understanding of reinsurance concepts and methods
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP, Statutory, and Tax accounting and reporting and other forms of financial and risk measurement such as embedded value and capital frameworks
- Advanced ability to model or peer review various insurance products and reinsurance structures
- Highly advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Consistently produce high-quality work and associated documentation with strong attention to detail
- Advanced PC and technical skills, including database applications (Alteryx, Tableau, Access, Oracle, SQL or equivalent technology), spreadsheets, statistical programs and actuarial software (Prophet, MoSes, TAS, AXIS, or equivalent)
- Ability to adapt new methods, multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and balance priorities
- Advanced oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received by all stakeholders, including customers and associates
- Highly advanced interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to work effectively with different disciplines, including pricing, finance, accounting, systems, and administration
- Ability to work independently and to work well within a team environment and participate in department projects
- Competent project management skills. Demonstrates an ability to evaluate project
objectives and scope for feasibility and understanding
- Ability to proactively anticipate project needs and independently work to fulfill them
- Highly advanced US and/or Latin America life/health reinsurance industry and direct life product knowledge.
- M&A financial analysis knowledge and experience
- Risk knowledge and experience
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $109,130 to $197,515 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement and other employee benefits.