The VP & Actuary will support RGA's US mortality markets as a thought leader in data analytics. Leads, manages, and directs the development and communication of US mortality markets's core datasets including the support of actuarial, operations, business development, and underwriting teams. Enables these teams with capabilities to be able to provide key insights into our reinsurance business and support execution of US mortality markets's data strategy.
- Develop, enforce and maintain the best practice of data analytics. Provide hands-on guidance and peer review development conducted by the team.
- Challenge conventional practice and drive advanced analytic capabilities to enhance internal studies of mortality and persistency experience, enhance projections for profitability analysis, and develop new core datasets. Communicate the development and enhancements, in a meaningful fashion, to senior management and other key stakeholders.
- Lead data and technology enablement initiatives including cloud-based data modeling and analytics.
- Enhance RGA's image as the data analytics expert in the industry. Lead projects on current and emerging topics of interest to RGA or clients, including data analytics, etc. Present work products through various outlets including internal meetings, client visits, industry meetings, and internal or external publications.
- Manage the requests from key stakeholders.
- Foster positive collaboration with key stakeholders, such as actuarial, operations, business development, underwriting, global data analytics, IT, new business initiatives, external clients, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics or related field
- FSA accreditation
- 10+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance and/or reinsurance
- Advanced degree in business, statistics, or related experience
Skills and Abilities
- Highly advanced actuarial technical skills
- Intermediate PC skills and advanced understanding of actuarial systems - including spreadsheet, database, and actuarial projection tools (AXIS, Prophet, ALFA, MoSes)
- Advanced knowledge of life insurance products
- Advanced understanding of reinsurance concepts and methods
- Advanced ability to challenge and enhance analytical capabilities
- Expert ability in implementing change within an organization, ensuring understanding, participation, and ownership
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills including presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to convey information in a way that is meaningful and well received by stakeholders and team members
- Highly advanced investigative, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Expert ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Highly advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Highly advanced ability to adapt new methods; work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Expert skills in managing multiple projects and/or sub-teams simultaneously
- Highly advanced ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Highly advanced ability to implement organizational, divisional and/or departmental vision and goals that result in achievement and success through exceptional leadership skills, collaboration, creative thinking, maintaining focus, and persistence, even under adversity, while maintaining the confidence of associates and customers
- Expert ability to work well within and manage a team
- Expert ability to foster a teamwork and customer service focused environment
- Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Exceptional people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Knowledge of experience studies
- Intermediate understanding of GAAP, statutory, and tax accounting and reporting
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
The general pay range for this position is $153,730 to $234,465 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA provides an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and some positions are eligible for participation in our long-term equity incentive plan. RGA also maintains a full range of health, retirement and other employee benefits.