The Data Science Actuary, Global Data & Analytics is a qualified actuary with data science capabilities; someone who combines curiosity, technical skills, and collaboration to create innovative data-solutions; and a leader on project-teams consisting of data scientists, pricing actuaries, underwriting, IT, and business developers. The Data Science Actuary will work on internal and industry initiatives that unlock benefits of new & existing data-sources & data-solutions through exploratory analysis, novel insights, model validations, and model enhancements.
- Provide actuarial and analytical expertise to support the development or enhancements of commercial data-solutions at RGA.
- Lead, design, create and interpret end-to-end GLM's with a typical focus on risk scores.
- Evaluate new external data sources and explore new applications of non-traditional data sources for RGA and our clients.
- Enhance RGA's advanced analytics capabilities through the innovative application of cutting-edge techniques to generate novel business insights.
- Leverage newly developed solutions and advanced analytics capabilities across different business units
- Offer robust risk management skills and held accountable to any data processing or modeling exercise:
o Understanding business context & where material scope for error lies
o Adhering to professional standards, best practices, and ethical guidelines
o Understanding the strengths and limitations of a modeling approach
- Educate and/or lead others on tools / techniques their actuarial peers will not have had a formal education in
o Applications, risks, transparency, quality assurance & peer review, ethical guidelines
o Staying abreast of new techniques, but focusing on practical applications
o Liaising with RGA's Global D&A team for more sophisticated data science applications
o Contributing to RGA's global analytics community, routinely sharing, maintaining consistency of approach
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science or related field
- FSA accreditation or equivalent
- 7+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance/reinsurance
- 3+ years statistical on-the-job modeling experience (not exam based) for insurance or related applications (Regression, Decision Trees, Time Series, etc.)
- 2+ years of project lead, supervisory or management experience
- Experience with product design / pricing / experience studies
- Reinsurance industry experience
- Master's degree or PhD in Statistics, Actuarial Science, Economics, or related field
- 6+ years of experience with statistical modeling for insurance
Skills and Abilities
- Statistical programs/languages (R or Python)
- Spreadsheets skills (Excel/VBA) and database applications (SQL, Snowflake, Oracle,...)
- Advanced Predictive Modeling skills:
o Tree-based models + GLMs
o Cross-Validation, Residuals and model diagnostics
o Basic Statistical concepts for feature engineering (e.g. percentiles, standardization, correlations, risk ratios / chi-square test, splines, and other non-linear transformations)
o Pro-active use of insurance expertise & actuarial concepts to feature engineering and model evaluation
- Basic machine learning models/concepts (Clustering, Random Forests, GBM/XGBoost & other boosting algorithms)
- Advanced Exploratory Data Analysis skills - Plots and graphics (ggplot)
- Strong curiosity and a self-motivated desire to learn new skills and techniques and apply those to traditional life insurance problems
- Ability to compile, analyze, refine, model and interpret very large data sets
- Ability to incorporate expert judgment into statistical modeling techniques
- Transform data to enhance its predictive value (feature engineering)
- Guide stakeholders through evaluations of third-party data and predictive models
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills, sharing insights and explaining technical topics
- Advanced documentation skills consistent with Actuarial Standards of Practice (ASOPs)
- Advanced ability to manage multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously
- Advanced ability to liaise with a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Strong collaboration skills to work well within a team environment
- Highly advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Highly advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to create and maintain commercial data-solutions
- Familiar with actuarial modeling platforms (AXIS, Prophet, Experience Studies etc.)
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA ) is one of the largest global life and health reinsurance companies. With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, RGA supports clients and partners around the world through innovative approaches and customized solutions. Founded in 1973, RGA celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2023.
- We are the only global reinsurance company to focus primarily on life- and health-related reinsurance solutions.
- Our core products and services include life reinsurance, living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, health reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development.
- RGA ranks #222 on the 2022 Fortune 500 list. The list ranks U.S.-based companies by total revenue.
- RGA has been named to Fortune magazine's 2023 list of the World's Most Admired Companies.
- RGA has approximately $3.4 trillion of life reinsurance in force and assets of $84.7 billion as of December 31, 2022.
RGA's culture stresses high performance and collaboration, and the company hires the smartest people in the industry. And, the smart people they hire are not just number crunchers. RGA values creativity and curiosity. RGA also values humility, and its employees work together without ego to bring value to RGA while revolutionizing the life and health insurance space.
RGA aims to evolve RGA workplaces and the communities in which RGA has a presence, into more diverse, equitable and inclusive environments. We will create a culture where individuals are valued, feel a sense of belonging, and are respected for their differences - a workplace where all employees are encouraged and supported to reach their full potential.
Our individual, social, economic, and cultural identities shape and influence our experiences and perspectives. Therefore, to do our best work RGA will ensure diversity in our workforce across the various dimensions of social, interpersonal, and cultural identity - and by practicing inclusivity in how we work with one another. Inclusion in our workplace is a step towards our purpose of making financial protection accessible to all .
We support hybrid and flexible ways of working and would welcome a discussion on how we can balance what is important to you with business requirements during the recruitment process.
Visit our 2022 Annual Review site, https://rgaannualreview.com , to find out more about us.