Leads and manages integration and alignment of valuation, financial reporting and financial analytics processes. Co-owns the development, maintenance and enhancement of the financial planning and forecasting infrastructure as it relates to the Finance Forward Ecosystem (FFE) program and analytic foundation across the organization, including development and maintaining actuarial formulas and inputs to the FFE such as modeled cash flows and risk and capital projections. Serves as a bridge between the actuarial valuation and finance teams by supporting and communicating actuarial procedures and managing the use of data from finance sources such as general ledger and MDM.
- Serve as the actuarial lead on the planning forecasting and analysis team providing actuarial support to the forecasting process and providing company-wide communication regarding actuarial aspects of analytics and forecasts as it relates to the FFE program
- Serve as the valuation representative on the MDM Steering committee, manage the governance of valuation owned MDM entities and represent valuation in the management and use of MDM
- Serve as a bridge between actuarial valuation and accounting providing guidance on the production and processing of actuarial balances as they are fed into the accounting ledger system
- Serves as a bridge between actuarial valuation and finance, risk and line of business functional areas to communicate and promote common understanding of corporate financial analysis and the derivation of key performance and risk metrics and drivers.
- Reviews actuarial models to assure fit for purpose modeled cash flows are being produced for the planning and forecasting processes, including reviewing appropriate formulas, parameters and assumptions.
- Adopt and manage projection data for corporate financial planning and analysis and assists with communication of financial analytics and results in terms of major drivers of variance.
- Monitors regulatory, US Stat, US Tax, and US GAAP valuation work for assigned business and assists with identifying and adapting to changing requirements and new types of products.
- Provides oversight and direction to junior actuarial/financial associates in the department. Performs supervisory duties including, but not limited to, hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and disciplining direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates and gives guidance on associate development.
- Maintains, documents, and supports results, approaches, and controls used to produce and monitor results.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics or related field
- FSA accreditation or equivalent
- 7+ years actuarial experience in life insurance/reinsurance
- 5+ years financial reporting or accounting experience
- 5+ years management experience
- Experience with financial planning and forecasting
- Experience with management of an FP&A process
- Experience with MDM and data governance concepts
Skills & Abilities
- Highly advanced people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful to a wide audience
- Advanced skills in customer relationship management and change management
- Understanding of different types of valuation regimes
- Advanced PC and technical skills, including database applications (Access, SQL, Alteryx or equivalent technology), spreadsheets, statistical programs and actuarial software (Prophet, AXIS, or equivalent)
- Highly advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Expert ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Highly advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Highly advanced ability to manage multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously
- Highly advanced ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Highly advanced persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers
- Advanced project management skills. Demonstrates an ability to evaluate project objectives and scope for feasibility and understanding
- Expert knowledge of life, health, and/or annuity products
- Expert knowledge of GAAP, Statutory, Capital and Tax valuation and financial reporting
- Understanding of local regulatory environments.
- Knowledge of traditional reinsurance valuation systems.
- Reinsurance industry and product knowledge.
- Expertise in Prophet or AXIS (or equivalent actuarial software).
- Ability to travel on a limited basis.
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.