The Executive Director, Data Science works closely with the VP, Data Science and Engineering taking on substantial delegated responsibility to lead, manage, and direct the development and execution of advanced analytics projects as well as supporting the execution of the Enterprise Data and Analytics Strategy.
Works closely with stakeholders including department management, Pricing, Business Development, Underwriting, and RGA clients globally taking responsibility to develop models, insights, and content that provide direct commercial benefit to RGA.
Stands in for VP, Data Science and Engineering when needed.
- Utilizes RGA's advanced analytic capabilities to execute projects that generate unique insights and commercial value for RGA and our clients.
- Works closely with local offices and global functions to encourage innovation, spread ideas and insights, understand business needs and communicate results.
- Ensures quality and depth of analysis of each project
- Works closely with the Head of Data Science to understand that role and is able to step into that role as required
- Supports the development and maintenance of best practice and standards for data scientists around the company
- Presents research findings through various outlets including webcasts, industry meetings, client presentations, and internal or external publications.
- Assists with the execution of the Enterprise Data and Analytics strategy that ensures RGA remains at the forefront of advanced analytics capability in the Life insurance sector.
- Performs management duties including, but not limited to: hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, guiding, mentoring and disciplining direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates and gives guidance on associate development
- Serves as leader and participates in special projects, committees, meetings and client presentations as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics or related field
- 10-15 years of actuarial experience in life insurance and/or reinsurance
- 5+ years of management experience
- Advanced degree in business, statistics, or related experience
Skills and Abilities
- Highly advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, and other modeling skills including but not limited to the use of Generalized Linear Modelling, Cluster analysis techniques, Random Forest, and gradient boosting methods.
- Able to bring together high-level applications consisting of models, external data sources/interfaces, and reporting. Work with the data science engineering team to implement user interfaces and internal/external infrastructure.
- Expert knowledge of statistical analysis packages generally but specifically including Python and R.
- Expert skills in managing multiple projects and multiple sub-teams simultaneously
- Highly advanced ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Highly advanced data management and manipulation skills.
- Highly advanced actuarial technical skills and a deep understanding of drivers of experience
- Intermediate PC skills and understanding of actuarial systems - including spreadsheet, database, and actuarial projection tools (AXIS, TAS, ALFA, MoSes)
- Expert knowledge of life insurance products
- Advanced understanding of reinsurance concepts and methods
- Advanced ability to challenge and enhance analytical capabilities
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills including presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to convey information in a way that is meaningful and well received by stakeholders and team members
- Highly advanced ability to adapt new methods; work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Highly advanced ability to implement organizational, divisional and/or departmental vision and goals that result in achievement and success through exceptional leadership skills, collaboration, creative thinking, maintaining focus, and persistence, even under adversity, while maintaining the confidence of associates and customers
- Expert ability to work well within and manage a team
- Expert ability to foster a teamwork and customer service focused environment
- Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Exceptional people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Knowledge of database applications.
- Advanced life insurance and/or reinsurance industry and product knowledge.
- Knowledge of life insurance underwriting
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $114,020 to $169,895 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement and other employee benefits.