This position is responsible for leading RGA's India Pricing team in carrying out the critical functions of determining competitive reinsurance terms in a controlled manner; and ensuring these terms are agreed and documented in a clear and timely manner.
The successful applicant will have a strong technical and commercial focus. They will have (or will obtain) a sound understanding of RGA's actuarial processes, reporting of results, risk controls and treaty terms. They will need to be able to identify situations where pragmatism is needed (and acceptable); and situations which represent elevated risks to RGA and caution/escalation is required.
This is a challenging role that represents an exciting opportunity. Success will be ultimately measured by growth in RGA's revenues and profitability over time in respect of the Indian business.
The role assumes responsibility for the management of all staff in the Pricing Team (including treaty) and reports to the CEO - India Branch. The successful candidate will also be a part of the senior management team for the RGA India business.
Key Relationships (Internal & External):
- Pricing (direct reports) for their day- to- day management and development.
- SVP Chief Pricing Actuary, Asia and the regional pricing team
- India Business Development, Underwriting, Claims, Finance, Administration and Valuation functions
- Indian Executive Team
- Other RGA functional support team (e.g. GDA)
- Client & Industry Peers
This role is responsible for producing competitive pricing and reinsurance terms for RGA India's business whilst concurrently meeting the requirements of the applicable risk control mechanisms.
- Pricing provide advice on risk/return tradeoff for management to make informed decisions.
- Leads all aspects of Indian day to day pricing function
- Develop and maintain pricing basis that meet the required Regional and Corporate Guidelines, using the Risk Assessment Framework.
- Monitors and seeks opportunities to improve the competitiveness of RGA's pricing; feedback areas of strength and weakness to the local team.
- Delegates pricing authority within the pricing team as appropriate. Monitor the delegations over time and take action as needed.
- Works with the valuation and business development teams to identify in force repricing opportunities where appropriate.
- Identifies and execute on potential areas of product development and research.
Experience studies and Inforce Management
- Work with the RGA management to develop and execute on:
- Completion of regular experience studies in respect of mortality, morbidity and lapse (and any other significant risk factor) as compared to the pricing and valuation bases
- Strategic and tactical research needs (including adhoc items) to complement RGA business plans and strategies
- Drive assumption review and sign off process for pricing assumptions.
- Identify, assess and measure, monitor and manage, and report emerging or existing risks.
- Helps ensure that one or more priority risks facing the respective segment/entity are prudently managed.
- Prepares a formal segment/entity risk assessment on a recurring basis within the prescribed timeframe.
- Discusses relevant information with the Local Risk Owner (LRO) assigned to the risk.
- Communicates material changes or emerging risks in a timely manner to the Global CRO, the Segment/Entity CRO, SRMO or LRO.
- Identifies, reports, and escalates, on a timely basis, any risk issues (e.g., incidents, findings, trends, key risk indicators), as per the requirements of the local or corporate risk framework. Performs appropriate risk treatment or action plan, as needed.
- Embeds risk management in day-to-day activities and instills a risk-aware culture.
- Works with pricing team to ensure treaties are finalised in a timely manner, comply with RGA standards and protect RGA's interests.
- Monitors outstanding treaties and take actions to remediate areas of greatest risks.
- Seeks opportunities to improve treaty finalisation processes.
- Develops strong relationships with treaty experts within RGA and engage them as needed for more complex treaty issues
Reporting & Compliance
- Creates/manages information systems to efficiently and accurately monitor pricing and treaty activities and report to the business.
- Assists with provision of actuarial advice as required.
- Ensures ongoing SOX pricing requirements are fulfilled.
- Completes pricing audits of clients as required.
- Oversees the professional development of Pricing team staff.
- Creates a culture of excellence within the team. Ensures it is a desirable place to work, bearing in mind the inherent challenges of a pricing environment.
- Undertakes succession planning, monitors and takes actions to mitigate key people risks where possible.
Education and Experience
- Fellow of Institute of Actuaries (or equivalent)
- Minimum 10 years' experience in total with 5 or more years post qualification experience.
- At least 5 years pricing experience in the Indian market.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical skills with business acumen.
- Proven experience in leading high performing teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Reputation in Indian industry as a strong performer.
- Some travel will be required from time to time.
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is a global industry leader specializing in life and health reinsurance and financial solutions that help clients effectively manage risk and optimize capital. Founded in 1973, RGA celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2023. Over the past five decades, RGA has become one of the world's largest and most respected reinsurers and is guided by a fundamental purpose: to make financial protection accessible to all.
RGA has been named to Fortune magazine's 2023 list of the World's Most Admired Companies, an acknowledgement that reflects our legacy of innovation, dedicated client focus, community responsibility, commitment to diversity, and long-term value creation. RGA serves clients and partners in key markets around the world and has approximately $3.3 trillion of life reinsurance in force and assets of $82.7 billion as of September 30, 2022. To learn more about RGA and its businesses, visit www.rgare.com