The VP & Actuary, Experience Studies & Analytics leads the development of experience studies and analytics for opportunities within RGA's US Mortality Markets. Provides critical actuarial expertise and research for key stakeholders including department management, pricing and valuation teams, and clients. Leads new capabilities including enhancing industry research, enabling traditional experience studies, expanding the use of predictive analytics and other tools, and providing key insights into our reinsurance business.
- Lead experience studies and analytics to help develop and enhance US Mortality Markets reinsurance transactions.
- Challenge conventional practice to drive new insights from experience studies. Drive advanced analytic capabilities to develop internal studies of mortality and persistency experience. Communicate the analyses, in a meaningful fashion, to management and other key stakeholders.
- Lead data and technology enablement initiatives including cloud-based data modeling and analytics and support experience studies calculation engine enhancements.
- Lead projects on current and emerging topics of interest to RGA or clients, including experience studies, mortality/morbidity research, statistical analysis and data analytics, etc.
- Present work products through various outlets including internal meetings, industry meetings, and internal or external publications.
- Foster and energize positive collaboration with key stakeholders, such as pricing, business development, underwriting, new business initiatives, global data analytics, external clients, etc.
- Collaborate and communicate directly with RGA clients on topics related to mortality and other relevant industry topics.
- Manage the requests for experience studies and analysis.
- Participates in special projects, committees, meetings and client presentations as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics or related field
- FSA accreditation
- 7+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance and/or reinsurance
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced actuarial technical skills
- Highly advanced knowledge of life insurance products
- Intermediate PC skills and intermediate understanding of actuarial systems - including spreadsheet, database, and actuarial tools
- Intermediate to advanced understanding of reinsurance concepts and methods
- Advanced ability to model various insurance products and reinsurance structures
- Intermediate ability to challenge and enhance analytical capabilities
- Intermediate understanding of GAAP, statutory and tax accounting and reporting
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received
- Highly advanced investigative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Expert ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Advanced skills in customer relationship management and change management
- Highly advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Highly advanced ability to manage multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously
- Highly advanced ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Highly advanced persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers
- Adaptable, self-starting, and team-oriented
- Must be able to travel as required
- Advanced knowledge of RGA's Experience Study System
- Familiarity with database applications.
- Advanced life insurance and/or reinsurance industry and product knowledge.
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.