RGA's culture stresses high performance and collaboration, and the company hires the smartest people in the industry. And, the smart people they hire are not just number crunchers. RGA values creativity and curiosity. RGA also values humility, and its employees work together without ego to bring value to RGA while revolutionizing the life and health insurance space.
The Associate Actuary, GFS Risk Management :
- Performs ALM and In-Force management analysis for Global Financial Solutions' Risk Management division
- Supports production of quarterly ALM reporting, treaty compliance, and completes in-force management reporting for asset-intensive treaties.
- Participates in key unit projects and performs ad hoc requests assigned to the risk management unit.
- Models asset and liability behavior under different financial shocks
- Integrates results from asset and liability models to form a comprehensive view of each treaty
- Projects evolution of spread income and GAAP financial results for treaties under different scenarios
- Tracks quarterly experience for in-force treaties and assists with experience analysis to explain unexpected results
- Develops reports highlighting recent experience and performance trends
- Works with pricing actuaries to understand the major risks for in-force treaties and assists with the ongoing management of those risks
- Assists with the development of the annual GFS financial plan
- Assists other areas within GFS or RGA in the development and validation of projections for GFS business
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with other GFS and Risk Management team members
- Participates in key unit and ad-hoc department projects as needed
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science or related field
- FSA certification and 6+ years actuarial experience in life insurance, annuities and/or reinsurance OR ASA accreditation and 10+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance, annuities, and/or reinsurance
- Reinsurance industry experience is a desired asset
- ALM / risk management experience OR Product design / pricing experience is a desired asset
- CFA/CERA or other asset/risk-based credentials are considered assets
Skills & Abilities
- Intermediate PC and technical skills, including database applications (Access, Oracle, SQL or equivalent technology), spreadsheets, statistical programs and actuarial software (Prophet, AXIS, or equivalent)
- Ability to compile, analyze, refine, and interpret large amounts of financial data/results and model projections
- Competent knowledge and understanding of actuarial concepts
- Ability to be flexible when needed, take initiative, and demonstrate accountability
- Intermediate oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to share and impart knowledge
- Ability to set goals and prioritize workload
- Intermediate investigative, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well within a team environment and participate in department/team projects
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Intermediate interpersonal skills
- Ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Ability to foster customer service as needed
- Ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines and work well with all levels of management
- General business knowledge
- Programming experience and specifically the ability to program in VBA or C++ is a desired asset
- Competent understanding of key insurance-related concepts, including life and annuity products, reinsurance contracts, and basic GAAP, Statutory, and tax accounting principles is an asset
- Competent understanding of derivative usage and other risk mitigation strategies is an asset
- Demonstrated expertise in improving efficiencies through automation of repeatable processes is a desired asset
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA ) is one of the largest global life and health reinsurance companies. With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, RGA supports clients and partners around the world through innovative approaches and customized solutions. Founded in 1973, RGA celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2023.
- We are the only global reinsurance company to focus primarily on life- and health-related reinsurance solutions.
- Our core products and services include life reinsurance, living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, health reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development.
- RGA ranks #222 on the 2022 Fortune 500 list. The list ranks U.S.-based companies by total revenue.
- RGA has been named to Fortune magazine's 2023 list of the World's Most Admired Companies.
- RGA has approximately $3.4 trillion of life reinsurance in force and assets of $84.7 billion as of December 31, 2022.
In 2022, RGA ranked #1 for the 12th consecutive year on NMG Consulting's Global All Respondents Business Capability Index, based on feedback from life and health insurance companies worldwide. "If there has been a constant in the life and health reinsurance industry over the last decade, it has been RGA's global BCI leadership. RGA's knowledge-led, partnership-driven approach coupled with its culture of innovation and client focus remain the cornerstones of its differentiation."
RGA aims to evolve RGA workplaces and the communities in which RGA has a presence, into more diverse, equitable and inclusive environments. We will create a culture where individuals are valued, feel a sense of belonging, and are respected for their differences - a workplace where all employees are encouraged and supported to reach their full potential.
Our individual, social, economic, and cultural identities shape and influence our experiences and perspectives. Therefore, to do our best work RGA will ensure diversity in our workforce across the various dimensions of social, interpersonal, and cultural identity - and by practicing inclusivity in how we work with one another. Inclusion in our workplace is a step towards our purpose of making financial protection accessible to all .
Visit our 2022 Annual Review site, https://rgaannualreview.com , to find out more about us.