RGA's culture stresses high performance and collaboration, and the company hires the smartest people in the industry. The smart people they hire are not just number crunchers. RGA values creativity and curiosity. RGA also values humility, and its employees work together without ego to bring value to RGA while revolutionizing the life and health insurance space.
The Senior Actuarial Assistant provides actuarial expertise and support for strategic initiatives that help RGA drive innovations in underwriting methodology. Brings creativity, curiosity and a problem-solving mind-set to actuarial analysis. Responsible for compiling and analyzing large quantities of data, evaluating impact of findings and effectively communicating findings. Partners with stakeholders on a wide range of strategic initiatives including but not limited to client pilots, SUP Evolution initiatives, program monitoring, experience analysis based on alternative underwriting evidences. Engages in research on emerging topics of interest to RGA, based on both internal and external data. Coordinates and communicates with internal partners routinely and represents the department on project teams.
- Generates data insight to advance underwriting methodologies
- Evaluates and manipulates internal data, third-party data, and client data for the purpose of actuarial analysis, predictive modeling, and research
- Develops, documents, maintains and recommends improvements in actuarial analysis, processes, reports, and tools
- Supports evaluating vendor solutions for risk assessment
- Assists forming actuarial opinions in validating predictive models
- Communicates key findings by creating meaningful and professional reports or presentations
- Leads the team to adopt new technologies, such as data visualization, cloud-based architecture, data analysis/modeling best practice, etc.
- Participates in cross-functional projects as needed
- Serves as a liaison with other associates and departments, including other functions within strategic underwriting initiatives, regional underwriting, pricing, IT, and global functions, as well as occasional external client contacts
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Sciences, Data Science, finance, economics or other related field
- At least 5 of P, FM, IFM, LTAM, STAM, SRM, PA, or FAP actuarial exams completed
- 2+ years of actuarial experience in life insurance
- Master's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Data Science, Statistics or related field
- Reinsurance industry experience
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts/methods
- Advanced organizational skills with a detail-oriented ability to document, track and follow up on to-do lists
- Advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to clarify and translate business needs into viable solutions. Clearly lay out recommendations with both explicit and implicit assumptions and implications to senior actuaries
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and sometimes stressful conditions, with can-do spirit and positive attitude
- Ability to compile, analyze, refine, and interpret large amounts of data
- Knowledge of life insurance products, and actuarial concepts
- Intermediate knowledge of database applications (Access, SQL, DBVisualizer or equivalent)
- Intermediate technical skills, including Tableau, Excel, statistical programs, actuarial software, and cloud-based architecture, etc.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, balancing detail with priorities, deadlines, and departmental goals/objectives
- Ability to work independently and to work well within a team environment and participate in department projects.
- Intermediate communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to work effectively with different disciplines, including underwriting, pricing, IT and other global functions
- Knowledge of individual life underwriting
- Advanced technical skills, particularly in database applications, Tableau and SnowFlake
- Complex investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with R or Python
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to construct and recommend changes to processes and procedures
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
External Job Language
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $70,235 to $99,735 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement and other employee benefits.