As a key member of RGA's Global Risk team reporting to the Senior Vice President, Pricing and Strategic Research, the Vice President & Senior Corporate Actuary will:
- Lead the maintenance and enhancement of RGA's global pricing framework.
- Coordinate with pricing teams, business units, corporate functions, and leadership to ensure that the pricing framework is a robust, effective tool for making decisions and for implementation of RGA's strategy.
- Create, manage, and update global pricing guidelines, and support business units on pricing transactions consistent with the spirit and intent of those guidelines.
- Lead, manage, and contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of RGA's global pricing framework, with the goal of allowing business units autonomy in placing new transactions while satisfying aggregate corporate requirements. Develop and maintain the application of controls to the pricing framework as documented in various standards and guidelines.
- As chair of the Pricing Standards Group (PSG), serve as the ultimate authority on RGA's pricing framework and on corporate pricing standards. Maintain the PSG as a forum for two-way communication between Corporate Pricing and RGA's business units.
- Coordinate with RGA's corporate functions (Capital, Investments, Tax, Structured Finance, etc.) to ensure that the pricing framework accurately reflects corporate management practices.
- Coordinate with Global Audit on the pricing audit process to ensure adherence to global pricing guidelines, to promote best practices and to share practical experiences across the organization.
- Maintain the vision for how to effectively use actuarial software within the pricing process. Oversee AXIS support and training as necessary.
- Educate pricing teams and other functions on the RGA pricing framework's theoretical basis, correct implementation, and connection to RGA strategy. Present to wide audiences and encourage broad understanding of the pricing framework across RGA.
- Act as the lead corporate resource for reviewing large or unusual transactions on behalf of Corporate Pricing. Peer review transactions from business units. Maintain contact with all business units to develop up-to-date information on in-flight transactions and ensure those transactions are considering all issues consistent with corporate pricing and risk guidance and philosophy.
- Lead the maintenance and improvement of the GRS Pricing Aggregator. Guide the development of the tool towards becoming the definitive source for aggregate new business projections at RGA.
- Act as the Lead Risk Officer for pricing process risk, responsible for monitoring such risks and reporting notable developments via RGA's risk reporting framework. Work to enhance pricing process risk management through the development of risk limits and key risk indicators and through identification of emerging risks.
- Perform management duties including, but not limited to, hiring, training, coaching and evaluating direct reports. Mentor associates and give guidance on associate development. Foster a positive and engaged work environment.
- Actively work with colleagues in Global Actuarial Pricing to ensure the effective and efficient sharing and deployment of resources.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics or related field
- Fellowship, Society of Actuaries (FSA) (or equivalent designation with a recognized Actuarial Institute or Society)
- 15+ years' experience in life or health insurance and/or reinsurance: includes 5+ years' experience in life/annuity pricing and/or product development
- 7+ years management experience
- Advanced knowledge of economic and S&P capital.
- Familiarity with other capital models (RBC, LICAT, Bermuda Solvency Capital, Solvency II, etc.)
- International experience with a variety of risks that RGA is actively pursuing including mortality, morbidity, policyholder behavior and interest rate
- Knowledge of AXIS, and/or Prophet software packages
- Enterprise risk management experience
- Stochastic modeling and/or asset liability management experience at an advanced level
- Advanced knowledge of insurance company finance as it relates to pricing
Skills & Experience
- Advanced understanding of design, risks and critical assumptions relating to a broad array of life, annuity, health and other protection or longevity products.
- Intermediate PC and technical skills, including spreadsheets, actuarial software, and database applications.
- Advanced ability and skills related to:
- Actuarial techniques and an ability to detect and explain sources of variation from expectations in terms of key drivers.
- Modelling various reinsurance structures and designs.
- Project management. Demonstrates ability to evaluate project objectives and scope feasibility, gain understanding, schedule resources, and manage budget to plan.
- Expert ability, skills and acumen related to:
- Translating business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Customer relationship management and change management
- Implementing successfully organizational, divisional, and/or departmental vision and goals
- Managing multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously, including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Liaising with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines.
- Oral and written communication, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful, well received and tailored to the audience
- Investigative, analytical and problem solving methods
- People management, demonstrating an ability to lead, mentor and develop associates. This may require managing associates who are difficult or resistant to leadership and/or change.
- Timely and effective decision making
- Persuade, negotiate and influence when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Expertise in implementing change, ensuring understanding, participation and ownership
- Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA ) is one of the largest global life and health reinsurance companies. With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, RGA supports clients and partners around the world through innovative approaches and customized solutions.
Founded in 1973, RGA celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2023.
- We are the only global reinsurance company to focus primarily on life- and health-related reinsurance solutions.
- Our core products and services include life reinsurance, living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, health reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development.
- RGA ranks #257 on the 2024 Fortune 500 list. The list ranks U.S.-based companies by total revenue.
- RGA has been named to Fortune magazine's 2023 and 2024 lists of the World's Most Admired Companies.
- RGA in Canada has been selected as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2024
- RGA has approximately $3.5 trillion of life reinsurance in force and assets of $87.4 billion as of September 30, 2023.
RGA aims to evolve RGA workplaces and the communities in which RGA has a presence, into more diverse, equitable and inclusive environments. We will create a culture where individuals are valued, feel a sense of belonging, and are respected for their differences - a workplace where all employees are encouraged and supported to reach their full potential.
Our individual, social, economic, and cultural identities shape and influence our experiences and perspectives. Therefore, to do our best work RGA will ensure diversity in our workforce across the various dimensions of social, interpersonal, and cultural identity - and by practicing inclusivity in how we work with one another. Inclusion in our workplace is a step towards our purpose of making financial protection accessible to all .
Flexible Working Environment
RGA supports hybrid and flexible ways of working and would welcome a discussion on how it can balance what is important to you with business requirements during the recruitment process.
Visit our Annual Review site, https://rgaannualreview.com , to find out more about us.