The VP & Lead Actuary leads and manages actuarial functions related to pricing, value added services, marketing and product development for Employer Stop Loss and other health insurance products on behalf of RGA U.S. Group Re's Healthcare Quota Share (HCQS) business unit. Works closely with the HCQS business unit in setting and executing strategic goals. Consults and provides escalation authority for RGA's HCQS actuarial pricing and product development functions.
- Leads and manages the actuarial pricing, product development and value-added services for the HCQS business units, including the development and maintenance of necessary models, management and financial reporting tools, pricing assumptions, experience studies, as well as corresponding documentation and controls. Ensures HCQS pricing follows both RGA corporate and U.S. Group Re guidelines.
- Leads and manages actuarial client interactions and value-added services involving portfolio analysis, industry benchmarking, industry manual comparisons, PPO network discount pricing analysis and predictive analytics. Responds to and coordinates activities around client requests for actuarial analysis.
- Works closely with the HCQS business unit in setting strategy and goals, marketing, analyzing monthly financials, and creating annual financial and operational plans.
- Advises and manages HCQS actuarial initiatives from RGA Corporate and U.S. Group Re with respect to valuation, capital, and financial reporting issues impacting HCQS. Addresses other U.S. Group Reinsurance and company-wide issues, as necessary.
- Travels and represents HCQS as needed for meetings with potential and existing clients, as well as for industry conferences. Travel may be up to 30% of work time.
- Performs management duties including, but not limited to, hiring, developing, evaluating, coaching, and disciplining direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates and gives guidance on associate development for the HCQS actuarial team.
- Manages completion of special projects as the arise and performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Business or related degree or equivalent related work experience
- 10-15 years health or employer stop loss insurance/reinsurance experience
- Fellowship, Society of Actuaries (FSA) accreditation
- Pricing or product development experience
- 15+ years health insurance/reinsurance experience
- Employer Stop Loss insurance experience
- 5+ years management experience
Skills and Abilities
- Expert investigative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Expert oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received
- Expert ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Expert skills in customer relationship management and change management
- Expert ability to implement organizational, divisional, and/or departmental vision and goals that result in achievement
- Expert ability to manage multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously
- Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Expert ability to make timely and effective decisions
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Expert people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $169,410-230,00 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement and other employee benefits.
We believe smart people work smarter when they are empowered - when they use logic, but embrace creative problem solving; when their curiosity is encouraged to further innovation; and when they are recognized for seeking out the unknown. It is with this philosophy that RGA engages our workforce to realize that true change happens when smart people collaborate for the good of a company, the industry, and the world. Working for RGA - it's the logical choice.