RGA Empowers Employees. It's one thing to hire smart people, it's another to empower them. This is one of the most important differences between RGA and its competitors. RGA empowers its employees to use their intelligence and creativity to find solutions for its customers. To be proactive in their approach to bringing value to our customers.
The Actuary, U.S. Longevity Research, GFS is a key element of RGA's activities in the U.S. Pension Risk Transfer (PRT) market - one of the organization's top growth areas globally - by developing and expanding expertise in the areas of longevity research, mortality and improvement trends, data, and pension de-risking market for the US. The role will dedicate focus to emerging trends in the US pension and annuity market around longevity research. Over time, the role is expected to nurture close relationship with the actuarial bodies, and to develop an existing network of strong relationships with experts in the longevity field. Whilst this is a role focused on the US market, the role is expected to immerse itself in areas of longevity research outside of US, and in responsibilities covered by the Longevity Product team.
The role will report to the Longevity Product team within the Global Financial Solutions (GFS) business unit and will also have a dotted line to GFS' North American Pricing team as a key stakeholder.
- Lead the derivation of longevity pricing bases to support our efforts in the US pension and annuity market;
- Take a leading role in the development of research to enable understanding of biometric and longevity risks pertaining primarily (but not exclusively) to the US market;
- Take a leading role in the discovery, evaluation, interpretation, and communication of the results of various types of data pertaining to US mortality and its drivers;
- Develop and expand GFS' expertise in the areas of longevity research and bases, US PRT and annuity market;
- Develop and expand expertise in modelling mortality and mortality improvements; and keep an active interest in emerging trends and ideas on longevity and mortality models and thoughts from other internal teams, the wider industry and actuarial bodies;
- Supply the Pricing team with valuable knowledge, expertise and insights on longevity research and basis; and proactively support their efforts for adopting robust demographic assumptions in quotes;
- Support the Business Development team with their efforts to develop the US PRT market, including participation at presentations and webinars and producing thought leadership materials; and supply the Business Development team with valuable knowledge, expertise and insights on longevity research and basis;
- Support and provide input into the Longevity Product team's global efforts in longevity basis and research;
- Work with the Longevity, Pricing, Business Development teams and Management to identify future needs for the US market;
- Perform peer review on the work produced by the Longevity Product team or Pricing teams;
- Support other internal stakeholders with an interest in longevity research, including the valuation or capital teams;
- Lead/assist special projects and research and development as required;
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Finance, or related field
- 7+ years life (re)insurance, pensions, or related experience
- 3+ years of hands-on experience longevity / re(insurance) / research / consultancy / US PRT market
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries, or equivalent actuarial qualification
- Demonstrated knowledge of assumptions setting in the longevity space
- Advanced knowledge of longevity, and/or annuity products.
- Experience in actuarial applications including (but not limited to) AXIS, Prophet, MoSes
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced collaboration skills and ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Ability to work and manage self and project teams in a dynamic and high-pressure environment while managing multiple concurrent deadlines and making sure projects are driven to completion
- Advanced oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to convey information in a way that is meaningful and well received by stakeholders and team members
- Expert level analytical and problem-solving skills: curious, innovative, flexible approach
- Strong business acumen and understanding of the importance of applying research to solve business issues
- Ability and flexibility to travel nationally (and on occasion, internationally) depending on base location
- Strong proficiency in programming language such as R or Python, SQL, Access
- Experience leading project teams remotely
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $125,435 to $191,760 per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement and other employee benefits.