The Sr. Health Actuaryperforms pricing, modeling, risk analysis, structuring, and other actuarial activities. Works with other team members to determine client needs and objectives, understand and analyze client information, and proactively design terms and structures of transactions to meet those needs and objectives.
Identify and documents risk exposure in potential transactions. Lead and assist other team members as needed by building proof-of-concept models for new opportunities or new reinsurance resolutions for our clients.
Own the responsibility of actuarial support in the development of new markets, structures, and product lines.
- Provide solutions, with innovative approaches on reinsurance structures for different clients across LatAm region in a timely manner consistent with applicable standards.
- Produces quotes and reprices accurately within deadlines and to the necessary standards, including pricing and treaty wording. Decision making involves procedural actions on occasions where new circumstances arise but must stay within guidelines provided, using critical thinking to analyze results for reasonableness and accuracy,
- Performs technical review and peer review on the work of other actuaries.
- Generate actuarial analysis to enhance and update documentation of business unit pricing methodology, parameters, and procedures. Recommend, implement, and document enhancements to the pricing process.
- Attain project deliverables withing realistic deadlines for modeling, risk analysis, and other business initiatives. Drive the design of reinsurance transactions and lead discussions on risk issues with internal and external clients.
- Coordinate and assist data analyst on monitoring and data presentation for value added services on internal and external clients.
- Lead technical side of development for new products, get involved and provide guidance in treaty wordings for new products developments.
- Participate in internal discussions regarding renewals, products, change in strategic direction of health reinsurance, or other actuarial matters.
- Works and coordinates with other team members to determine client needs and objectives, understand and analyze client information, and design terms and structures of transactions to meet those needs and objectives.
- Assesses, analyzes, and explains risk exposure in potential transactions and prepare documentation of these risks in detailed risk analysis reports including proposals for risk mitigations.
- Assures proper documentation of the processes leading to business continuity strengthen.
- Develop a good understanding of each client and its mode of pricing, responds to client and
- internal requests with accuracy and timeliness. Visit clients as appropriate and market specific services and handle business issues as they arise. Construct financial scenarios for client discussions.
- Reporting to the Lead Senior Actuary Health Latin America. Work closely with other members of the pricing team as well as provide technical support and advice to Business Developers.
- Participates in key unit and ad-hoc department projects as needed.
- Generate follow up initiatives in conjunction with risk management personnel to monitor experience of in-force treaties. Design enhancements of existing risk management initiatives.
- Coordinate and assists other team members by building proof-of-concept models for new opportunities or new reinsurance solutions for our clients.
- Contribute to the train and development of the staff to assume increasing levels of responsibility.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Economics, Actuarial Science, Statistics.
- 8+ years of experience in Health Insurance / Reinsurance sector.
- 10+ years of experience in a business environment working with data analysis or statistical modeling.
- Advanced English Skills (Oral, Reading, and Writing).
- Progress toward SoA Actuarial Exams and CONAC Certifications.
- Experience with actuarial pricing software.
- Experience with SAS, VBA or SQL programming.
- Health Products Experience (direct or reinsurance)
- Experience in a business environment analyzing data and providing actionable insights
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced Microsoft Outlook Word, Excel, and Power Point skills as well as SQL / Query skills
- Advanced data analysis skills.
- Advanced math skills
- Advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills utilizing experience, research, guidelines and internal resources.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change
- Ability to set goals, multitask and prioritize workload
- Ability to share and impart knowledge
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Identifies the information needs of stakeholders, explains the position of the unit or the organization to them and provides appropriate advice.
- Development of a new result by combining known information and techniques.
- Complex analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Working knowledge of actuarial and finance concepts
- Working knowledge of insurance, accounting and reinsurance concepts
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work well within a team environment and participate in department projects
- Ability to foster customer service as needed and experience with direct client relationships
- Ability to read and interpret treaty language and to apply it appropriately to data requirements
- Familiarity with statistical analysis tools (R and/or SAS)
- Competent understanding of key insurance-related concepts, including health products, reinsurance contracts, and basic GAAP, Statutory, and tax accounting principles.
- Knowledge of health insurance products and specific reinsurance data requirements
- Ability to liaise with individuals across a variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Ability to appropriately balance priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Proven expertise in end-to-end process ownership.
- An independent thinker - willing to form and defend own view on technical topics, when given the right support.
- Highly advanced Health and technical skills.
- Knowledge of pricing health products.
- Proven experience in presenting on top management.
- Knowledge of US GAAP insurance accounting standards.
- Knowledge of US statutory "blue book" and valuation requirements.
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients' prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
We believe smart people work smarter when they are empowered - when they use logic, but embrace creative problem solving; when their curiosity is encouraged to further innovation; and when they are recognized for seeking out the unknown. It is with this philosophy that RGA engages our workforce to realize that true change happens when smart people collaborate for the good of a company, the industry, and the world. Working for RGA - it's the logical choice.